This recipe has been borrowed from here. It has been modified a bit along the way.
- 8.0 cups sliced apples
- 2.0 Tbs. lemon juice
- 0.5 cups white sugar
- 0.5 cups brown sugar
- 0.25 cup flour
- 1.0 Tsp. cinnamon
- 0.25 Tsp. nutmeg
- 2.0 Tbs. butter
- 1 egg yolk
- 1.0 Tbs. milk
- In a large bowl, toss the sliced apples with lemon juice.
- Combine sugars, flour, cinnamon and nutmeg; add to apples and toss well to coat.
- Fill crust-lined 9 inch pie pan with apple mixture. Dot with butter.
- Place second crust on top of pie filling, cut slits in top of crust to vent. Seal the edges of the crust with a fork or by hand.
- In a small bowl, beat the egg yolk and milk. Brush mixture over top crust.
- Bake at 425 F for 15 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 350 F and bake 40-45 minutes more or until crust is golden and filling is bubbly.